Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL)
What is the Personal Information Protection Law (PIPL)?
The Personal Information Protection Law of the People’s Republic of China aims to safeguard the personal information and privacy of individuals within China’s jurisdiction. It applies to all entities, including businesses and organizations, that collect, process, store, or transfer the personal information of individuals.
Why is the PIPL essential?
The Personal Information Protection Law of the People’s Republic of China is essential in safeguarding individuals against data breaches and addressing growing concerns regarding data collection, storage, and dissemination. Compliance with this law has become a mandate, driven by the need to protect people’s privacy and ensure responsible data governance.
The Personal Information Protection Authority of the People’s Republic of China is designated as the supervisory authority responsible for overseeing the implementation and enforcement of this law. The authority is empowered to conduct inspections, investigate complaints, issue warnings, impose fines, and take other necessary measures to ensure compliance with the Personal Information Protection Law. Penalties for non-compliance may include warnings, rectification orders, confiscation of illegal gains, suspension of business operations, revocation of permits or licenses, and fines, among other administrative and legal consequences.
The Personal Information Protection Law of the People’s Republic of China serves as a crucial framework for organizations to address the challenges associated with data privacy. It emphasizes the importance of transparency, consent, and security in the processing and management of personal information. Compliance with this law not only helps organizations meet legal obligations but also promotes trust and confidence among individuals, demonstrating a commitment to safeguarding their privacy rights.
What falls under the purview of the Personal Information Protection Law?
The Personal Information Protection Law of the People’s Republic of China covers various aspects related to the handling of personal data, ensuring its protection and privacy. The law defines different roles involved in the processing of personal data, including the Personal Data Subject, who is the owner of the personal data, the Personal Data Controller, who determines the collection and use of personal data, and the Personal Data Processor, who processes personal data on behalf of the controller.
The scope of the regulation encompasses the protection of different types of data. This includes personal data that is not publicly available and pertains to identified or identifiable individuals, such as names, addresses, and identification numbers. It also includes web data, such as location information, IP addresses, cookie data, and RFID tags. Additionally, the regulation covers Special Category Information, which includes sensitive data such as health and genetic data, political opinions, biometric data, racial or ethnic data, and sexual orientation.
The Personal Information Protection Law applies to organizations both within and outside of the People’s Republic of China. It applies to organizations established within China as well as those outside of China that process the personal data of Chinese individuals. This applies to organizations that offer goods or services to individuals in China or monitor the behavior of individuals within China.
How is BizProspex compliant with the Personal Information Protection Law?
BizProspex, as a leading service provider in the industry, recognizes the importance of compliance with the Personal Information Protection Law of the People’s Republic of China. We understand the requirements and responsibilities of delivering legitimate and accurate data to our clients. With our expertise in CRM cleaning, Data appending, data mining, tech-install, data merging, and data deduplication for B2B clients, we have established ourselves as global leaders in providing high-quality public data scraping services to boost our clients’ sales performance. At BizProspex, we are dedicated to becoming the trusted partner your organization needs to not only survive but thrive in the market. By understanding your company’s specific needs, we are committed to offering legitimate solutions that truly make a difference. We are proud to be recognized as one of the most Compliant Data Service Providers globally, known for our ability to simplify complex processes for business people and help them understand their key requirements.
To ensure seamless compliance with the Personal Information Protection Law, we take the following steps:
- Conduct assessments of data protection risks associated with new projects and implement plans to mitigate those risks– When starting new projects, we conduct thorough assessments to identify potential risks to data protection. This includes analyzing the data collection, processing, storage, and transfer activities involved. By understanding the risks, we can develop strategies and plans to mitigate them effectively.
- Assess and implement PIPL compliance with existing or pre-dated data protection plans– We review our existing data protection plans and align them with the requirements of the Personal Information Protection Law. This ensures that our practices and procedures are in line with the regulations and that scrapped data is handled in a lawful and secure manner.
- Promptly initiate and execute mitigation plans to address any gaps or risks in delivering our data services– If any gaps or risks are identified in our data services, we promptly initiate mitigation plans. These plans involve implementing appropriate measures to address the identified issues and minimize potential harm to the scraped data.
- Conduct regular reviews of our information and privacy policies and make necessary improvements– We conduct regular reviews of our information and privacy policies to keep them up to date with the evolving regulatory landscape. This includes staying informed about any changes in the Personal Information Protection Law and making necessary improvements to our policies to maintain compliance and enhance data protection.
- Ensure that any data processor we engage with also implements appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect personal data- We recognize the importance of data processors in our operations. Therefore, we carefully select and engage with data processors who demonstrate a commitment to data protection. We ensure that they implement appropriate technical and organizational measures to safeguard personal data throughout their processing activities.
We claim the highest standards of work ethics with utmost obedience to laws that we are subject to. All the pre-scraped public data that we collect and the process is done so with the contractual consent of our customers under the purview of the regulations under the Personal Information Protection Law. At BizProspex our compliance and audit experts work tirelessly to make sure all the right compliance controls are in place when it comes to data.
Disclaimer: The information on this page is being provided for information purposes regarding the operations of BizProspex within the legal ambit. Information contained on or made available herein is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation, or counseling under any circumstance. The use thereof does not create any attorney-client relationship. Do not act or rely on any information provided herein without seeking the advice of attorney licensed to practice for your particular business.