What are the PIPEDA regulations?
The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) is the federal privacy law for private-sector organizations. It sets out the ground rules for how businesses must handle personal information during commercial activity in Canada. It explicitly states that “To govern the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information by private sector organizations in a manner that recognizes both the right of the individual to have his or her personal information protected and the need of organizations to collect, use and disclose personal information for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate.”
Who and what falls under the purview of the PIPEDA?
PIPEDA became law on April 13, 2000 to promote trust and data privacy in eCommerce and has since expanded to include industries like banking, broadcasting, and the health sector.
Personal information under the PIPEDA- Under PIPEDA, the following are protected as Personally Identifiable Information (PII):
- Age, name, ID numbers, income, ethnic origin, or blood type
- Opinions, evaluations, comments, social status, or disciplinary actions
- Employee files, credit records, loan records, medical records, the existence of a dispute between a consumer and a merchant, intentions (for example, to acquire goods or services, or change jobs)
PIPEDA applies to any private sector organization in Canada that collects, uses, or shares personal information when conducting commercial activities. Federally regulated organizations in Canada, including banks, airlines and airports, telecommunications companies, and interprovincial and international transportation companies must follow the compliance guidelines outlined in PIPEDA.
How is BizProspex compliant with the PIPEDA?
BizProspex, being the leading services provider in the business, understands the requirements and responsibilities of delivering legitimate and accurate data. We stand out as global leaders when it comes to Jobs Feed Data, Worldwide Funding Data, Email Appending, Google Maps Scraping, Data Merging, and Data Deduping for B2B clients. We aim at supplying our clients with public data scraping of the highest quality to boost your sales numbers. At BizProspex, we focus on becoming the partner your organization needs to survive, and in the long run, thrive.
By understanding what your company’s needs are, we’re prepared to bring you solutions with legitimacy that truly make a difference. We are one of the Best PIPEDA Compliant Data Service Providers around the world and we are known for our capabilities to make complex things easy for business people and help them understand the key needs. We assure the key principles for safeguarding data (mentioned in the PIPEDA regulations) are followed such as:
- Access to data is controlled using the principle of least privilege, meaning that only the least number of people have access to the minimum amount of data required to complete the task at hand.
- Detailed Logging is enabled throughout the organization. The logging assists system administrators to review who has had access to the data that is being processed, when, and how.
- Network Firewalls are in place to secure the network infrastructure and isolate and protect the data that is being processed.
- All the necessary backups are operational round the clock to maintain the integrity and availability of data processed.
Similarly, we take necessary steps to ensure that the data that we hold for processing undergoes all the data protection mechanisms like:
- Conducting an assessment of the data protection risks associated with any new project and initiating a plan to mitigate those risks.
- Assessing and implementing the PIPEDA compliance to existing or pre-dated data protection plans.
- Initiating and executing an immediate mitigation plan to address any gaps or risks posed in delivering our data services.
Our privacy policies (that are mentioned on the website) clearly state how the data for processing is collected, how it is processed, and who in our team can be contacted regarding data storage and processing.
We claim the highest standards of work ethics with utmost obedience to laws that we are subject to. All the pre-scraped public data that we collect and the process is done so with the contractual consent of our customers under the purview of PIPEDA guidelines. At BizProspex our compliance and audit experts work tirelessly to make sure all the right compliance controls are in place when it comes to data.
Disclaimer: The information on this page is being provided for information purposes regarding the operations of BizProspex within the legal ambit. Information contained on or made available herein is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation, or counseling under any circumstance. The use thereof does not create any attorney-client relationship. Do not act or rely on any information provided herein without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice for your particular business.